Making a positive impact on the environment, society, and economy of the country you visit is becoming more and more important to many travellers. Tourists also want to enjoy places of untouched natural beauty, connect with the community and have a genuine experience of the local culture. We whole-heartedly believe in travelling responsibly and support sustainable tourism.
Below are just a few examples of how our venues embrace these values wholeheartedly.
"Take only memories, leave only footprints."
- Chief Seattle
Spier Wine Estate, Cape Winelands
Spier has been recognised by a number of external organisations for its commitment to sustainability and ethical business.
Our farm is organically certified and was awarded Conservation Champion status by WWF-SA. Our Hotel was one of the first in the country to receive Fair Trade in Tourism (FTTSA) accreditation; it also won gold at the African Responsible Tourism Awards 2016 in the category of Best for Accommodation for Responsible Employment. A member of the Wine Industry Ethical Trade Association (WIETA), our winery is FSSC 22000 certified, Control Union Vegan accredited and follows the Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) criteria.
Sustainability is woven into every facet of the Spier conferencing experience, from water-saving devices in the bathrooms to rooftop solar panels that provide 40% of the Conference Centre’s energy needs. 100% of Spier’s waste-water and over 98% of its solid waste is recycled. Spier invests in a wide arrange of learning initiatives that empower staff and communities to create positive social and environmental change. By booking one of Spier’s Conferencing for Good packages, your event is supporting these efforts – all the while treating your delegates to a memorable experience.
Angala Boutique Hotel
Angala currently supports a variety of community charities and environmental projects, and also works towards sustainable tourism in the following ways:
- We bottle our own still and sparkling water on site – the water comes from our 2 boreholes and is filtered 3 times before bottling.
- All our rooms' geysers work off of automated solar panels (that switch to grid power when there is not sufficient solar power).
- Our eco pool has a massively positive effect on the local biome/ eco and is part of the attraction of 40 different bird species to our property.
- We have an incredible biological waste water management plant which helps us recycle water into our gardens.
- We try and source all our produce from local suppliers with the highest quality and the same sustainable ethos as us.